1.8.13

looking forward - looking back ...


[Heading back to Alice on Larapinta Drive, 2007]




'As I look back on the trip now, as I try to sort out fact from fiction, try to remember how I felt at a particular time, or during a particular incident, try to relive those memories that have been buried so deep, and distorted so ruthlessly, there is one clear fact that emerges from the quagmire.  The trip was easy.  It was no more dangerous than crossing the street, or driving to the beach, or eating peanuts.  The two important things that I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavour is taking the first step, making the first decision.  And I knew even then that I would forget them time and time again and would have to go back and repeat those words that had become meaningless and try to remember.  I knew even then that, instead of remembering the truth of it, I would lapse into useless nostalgia. Camel trips, as I suspected all along, and as I was about to have confirmed, do not begin or end, they merely change form...'

[Robyn Davidson - Tracks]





[Ilparpa Clay Pans, 2001]