16.10.11

like water for chocolate [cake] ...


" Happiness is homemade ..." 

[Anonymous]

Last week I had the pleasure of baking two of my favourite cakes in celebration of our little families first year in Far North Queensland.  By request here are the recipes for both cakes - taken straight from my much loved and well worn moleskine in which I keep my most coveted cooking concoctions.  The first a Six Minute Chocolate Cake is a recipe from the series of Moosewood Cookbooks and is unbelievably vegan - the second a Sour Cherry Cake, rich in nutmeg and cinnamon  came to me via a friend during my years living in Alice Springs ... 







“Destiny cuts,
the cake of love,
Three slices to some,
To others, a crumb”

[Stefano Benni, Margherita, Dolce Vita]



“The measuring and mixing always smoothed out her thinking processes - nothing was as calming as creaming butter - and when the kitchen was warm from the oven overheating and the smell of baking chocolate, she took final stock of where she'd been and where she was going. Everything was fine.”

[Jennifer Crusie, Maybe This Time]






I can't quite express how much joy I find in baking and then sharing a cake with dear friends and loved ones - especially when combined with a well brewed pot of tea, some sweet old crockery and cherished conversation ... ah - the opportunity for a treasured   moment ...


Bon appetit!